Saturday, March 23, 2013

On Being a Probation Officer and February Flowers Received

I have worked for the Yukon Department of Justice for almost twenty years.  For ten years I was a probation officer.  Being a probation officer in the Yukon requires one to be a counsellor/supporter and an enforcer at the same time.  It is a delicate balance, trying to gain the probationer's trust and provide guidance but also being the big gun when necessary. 

When I agreed to take over coordination of the Inchy Hexagon Flower Swap I told myself that I was not going to be a probation officer.  Everyone in this swap is presumably here because they want to be here and they are excited to give and receive hexie flowers.  

But I am here today to give some gentle reminders.  I have been distressed lately to see some posts from people who are missing hexie flowers, or who haven't heard that the ones they sent out have been received. 

Please, please be as considerate to your fellow swappers as you would be to anyone else.  This means:

*  When you receive the swap list each month look at it to see who you are giving to and who is giving to you and let me know if there are any problems.  I am not infallible.  I seem to have made mistakes on each month I've sent out so far.... 

*  E-mail your swap partner (everyone's e-mail addresses are included on the member's list)

1) to ask for clarification if you are unclear of what they are asking for, 
2) to let them know that you have mailed their flowers, 
3) to let them know you might be late and when you will send their flowers, 
4) if you are already late - to let them know when you might be able to catch up with their flowers, 
5) when you receive flowers

*  Post public thank-you's on the blog with pictures if you are able to.  You can also e-mail pictures to me and I will post them for you.  

On a very positive note... look at the generous and kind response that Shannon posted after Lorraine let us all know that she doesn't feel she is able to continue in the swap and apologizing for those she is late sending to....


I am so sorry that you are going through this. I will help you any way I can. If you want to send me all that you have I will finish them for you. It will be my pleasure to lift this load from you. Just email me and let me know what I can do.

Shannon, this is a lovely offer and very sweet of you.  I hope if you haven't heard from Lorraine that you will e-mail her, in case she doesn't go back and look at responses to her post.

Edited to add - Lorraine has let me know that Kris also offered to help her catch up.  I understand that both Kris and Shannon are helping Lorraine as we speak.  

I do hope that people don't think this post was to scold Lorraine.  I thought it was very courageous of her to let us all know her situation.  It was really just a reminder to everyone. 

I bet that Nora is wondering why I haven't posted a photo of the hexie flowers she sent me for February yet.  I sent her an e-mail on March 6th letting her know they had arrived.

Well Nora sent me a lovely crocheted Victorian heart along with the hexie flowers she made.  My sewing room was a mess and I put the heart in a "safe place" so I wouldn't lose it.  The "safe place" was so safe that I couldn't find the heart when I wanted to take photos.  So yesterday I spent several hours cleaning up my sewing room.  I got sidetracked twice - starting new projects - oh why do I do that???  But I did finally find the heart.  So here are photos - first of the lovely hexies and all that Nora sent:  (Sorry - blogger insists on it being sideways)






And here is a close up of the gorgeous Victorian heart.



Janet

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear, I feel well and truly rapped on the knuckles now Janet, being hauled up by a probation officer! I am guilty of both offences in a big way, but have asked that people who are concerned email me and I haven't received any emails about missing hexies at all. The only two emails I have received are the two generous offers by Kris and Shannon who have offered to help me out which I am accepting very graciously as I have realised it is time to accept help and not think 'I SHOULD be able to do these...' Should and could and can are different things, when your mind is all up the spout!

    So yes if anyone is missing hexies, or doesn't know if theirs have arrived please do email me, or the people concerned.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment telling us what wondrous flowers are growing in your hexie gardens