Saturday, July 5, 2014

Swapper profile - Coralie!

This week we are meeting Coralie, a fellow Canadian!!  

Coralie lives in North Saanich, British Columbia.  I took this beautiful photo from the District of North Saanich website.



Here is what Coralie has to say.

"A little about me.  I have been quilting since about 1990.  I took a quilting class and attended a guild meeting and was hooked.  The colours and piecing were a passion for some time and now I have graduated to applique and more hand work. 

I have been chairman of the baby quilt committee for the Victoria Quilter's guild for over 10 years now.  We cut fabric for kits and guild members piece them, then we bundle the tops with batt and backing to be quilted.  The quilts go to babies in the neonatal ICU, we have given up to 500 quilts each year.  Most of my quilting has been for the babies. 

Recently I took a class by Ann Shaw who teaches the method that Ruth MacDowell developed and taught before she retired.  Check out Ann and Ruth's websites.  Ann is a super teacher if you get the opportunity to take one of her classes, you will likely enjoy it.

I taught Home Economics to grades 8 - 10,  then I worked at drafting diagrams for publication for scientists at the Institute of Ocean Sciences.  I also worked at the local salvation Army store for several years.  I enjoy checking out thrift stores.

I am married and we have one son.  He and his wife have a daughter who will celebrate her 1st birthday at the end of June.  We live on Vancouver Island in British Columbia, it is a very beautiful place with the most temperate weather in Canada.  Our son lives in Ontario over 3000 km. away so we see them only once or twice a year

Coralie"

Coralie, how lovely to get to know you.  Maybe I'll get down to Vancouver Island sometime and we can meet up.  I must get some info from you on neonatal quilts as I have a premie nephew who I would like to make a quilt for.  

I hope everyone will drop by and say hello to Coralie.

Janet 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Coralie! It is so nice to meet you. That is an incredible service your guild provides for the neonatal ICU. Enjoy that granddaughter! xo jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Coralie, Lovely to read your profile.
    we sent hexes to each other back in 2011.
    It is a wonderful thing to do making Quilts for the little Premie Babies, well done.
    R,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these getting to know you posts!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment telling us what wondrous flowers are growing in your hexie gardens